This is a fact. After the disgusting humidity filled summers on the Eastern Seaboard, I thought I understood what it was like to fight, like a superhero, humidity whose only purpose was to make me look like an unhappy lion dog. Well, that delusion was crushed the second I stepped off the plane in Saudi Arabia. In August... I thought I was coming to the desert. I thought that I was coming to a dry climate. I thought the earth was round. I was wrong! Jefferson Starship! I knew I was in major trouble when snapping open the curtains to prepare myself for my first day of work and thought...
oh rain... wait no.
That's not rain... it was humidity water running down my window. I was in trouble. I knew that between the humidity and extreme heat, (I'm talking north of 115 degrees Fahrenheit)…
DEATH STROKE! Yes, Deathstroke a not so fictional supervillain, a mercenary assassin who serves as the archenemy of my hair... or something like that was at my door to destroy my tresses. (Sorry DC Comics)
I was frantic, I had a nice suit on... I stepped onto the curb of the hadean death scape, promptly turned on my heel jetlagged, confused and wet returned to my cupboard masquerading as an apartment and tore off my soaked through, once beautiful skirt suit. I donned a subpar, unplanned dress all the while muttering and wondering why I had to wear clothes at all. I mean really? Why clothes? Why the shame? Dash modesty! Dash professionalism, I shake my now sweat soaked fist at you!
Whatever your hair turns into - frizzed out, poofed up, indigent stringy, whatever (oh god I hope its not indigent stringy), we need to talk about the three things that will keep you calm and collected with the extreme humidity situation at hand.
Styling is key!
1. Please don't I repeat DON'T fight your natural hair texture when its humid. DON'T I SAY! If you have board straight hair, now is not the time to try for a curly beachy wave. If you have curly or coily hair now is not the time to make with the flat iron to get fly. It's just not. Fighting your natural texture will make you look like a BIG FOOL!
2. A bun or other up do if your hair has the length is always professional and neat. Your hair can only grow and/or deflate so much when its already in a do. A bun never killed anyone nor did a french twist. Consider and craft accordingly.
First technique before we talk about product. Any product used no matter your hair texture should be applied evenly and completely to the outermost layer of the hair, the point being to get the hair to lay as flat as possible. Avoid silicon based products although I will admit, during a certain wedding on South Beach on the grounds of an extremely swank hotel (whisper: I killed it! Holler!) with a very silicon based serum. Yes GOD! The trick was that I coated the hair cuticle with product so it was flat. I could style according to my texture and slayed into the Miami night!
1. Curly girls use - Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Heat & Humidity Gel
2. Stick straight use - Nexxus Frizz Defy Finishing Mist Hairspray
3. Coily girls use - Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen & Grow Oil Serum
4. Wavy women use - Klorane S.O.S. serum with peony